pregnancy cravings

driedfruit

one of the funniest things I always enjoy chatting about with other pregnant ladies or those who have already had kids is pregnancy cravings.  I can’t say that I’ve gotten one particular thing in my head and just madly craved it, but there have been times when I’ve thought of something or been having one of these particular conversations where I’ve thought to myself “well, shoot!  now I want that too!”  most often than not, it’s been something sweet.  and boy do I ever have a sweet tooth.

in attempts to curb my sweet cravings, I’ve been munching on various trail mixes and small amounts of dried fruits, in particular hazelnuts and freeze dried strawberries.  omg the strawberries!!  they are sort of like strawberry chips.

if you’ve got them, what are your cravings?  it’d be fun to hear!

{fruit from nuts online}

Comments:

beth said:

ok- not preggs but i’ve recently become addicted to the freeze dried strawberries too! i brought some on a plane with me last week. when i opened them pink dust poofed out. i ate the entire bag.

Mar

haha, I coughed a little from inhaling that pink dust when I first opened my bag. :)

lawn party said:

sorbet and smoothies! anything tarte! those strawberries look amazing. you have me “craving” them!

Mar

mmm, tart, defintely! I had some plum gelato during my first trimester that was delightfully tart!

Abigail said:

I’m three months in and I am craving weird things.. like water. Lots and lots of water… I have never been a big water drinker, but I am now… and fruits and vegetables, fried food has no appeal to me. Maybe it will the further I get into the pregnancy… I have always been a primarily healthy eater, but this has kicked it into hyper drive. I found myself sneaking into the fridge to eat raw kale last night. Seriously. Ice cream right on the top shelf and I am stuffing my face with kale. Go figure.

Freeze dried strawberries are on the shopping list. Good luck to you and thank you for such a cute and informative blog. :)

Mar

they do say we crave what we need most! perhaps you just need lots of water. I know I do!!

good for you with eating kale. I LOVED kale before I got pregnant, then couldn’t even look at it during my first trimester and it’s been hard going back.

Jenni said:

Peanut butter and hot sauce. Not together, obviously.

Abigail said:

Ha! I have always hated it! I bought it to bury it in green smoothies for the morning commute. So, it was a rather surreal surprise to find myself eating it, let alone raw.
    This is my second, and my doctor has the hypothesis that I go on a healthy food binge during pregnancy because I hate taking prenatal vitamins so much. :)

lawn party said:

totally off the subject…but have you found any diaper bags you like? im looking for minimalist and cant seem to find any!

Mar

ooh, good topic. I’ll see what I can find!

Renee said:

i’m 12 weeks pregnant and i’ve had some serious Mashed Potato cravings!

Joanna said:

I ate combos with abandon! It was gross, but all I wanted was stuff made with fake cheese ( you know, the bright orange stuff that doesn’t need to be in the fridge!)

Mar

Salt, salt, salt. It’s pretty bad actually. Other than that, lots of fresh fruit.

Chaucee said:

Ooo Strawberry chips sound AMAZING. Where do you get yours?

shalini said:

These are healthy cravings! I craved yogurt, just could not get enough.

Meghan said:

Vietnamese noodles. It is an addiction.

abby said:

Cabo Chips! http://www.cabochips.com/
    They are a supposed “healthy” chip, hahha yeah right.
    They are seasoned with sea salt and lime and are sooo good.
    Seriously, crazy good.

alyssa said:

I am nearing the end of my first trimester and can’t get enough of french fries, and potatoes in general…my husband is peruvian and I like to joke with him that the baby definitely has his genes..there are like 5,000 different varieties of potatoes found in Perú, so….

sonya said:

1st trimester (march-may) canned peaches, mint chocolate chip ice cream, greek feta pasta salad from a swank deli. though i had morning sickness so severely that i had to be hospitalized a number of time to receive iv fluids. i could not keep any food in my apartment. the thought made me too sick. i had to go out and get all my meals, which was not at all in my budget. it was a mess.

2nd trimester (june-august) cucumbers. all day and night. i ate about 4 a day. it was hot and i had no air conditioning and lived in a third floor apartment that was sweltering.

3rd trimester (oct-december…my bub was late) not a lot sticks out in my memory. home cooked meals, comfort food, home baked pumpkin bread. oh, hummus.

shisomama said:

i couldn’t keep much down during my pregnancy with my son, but bacon was an exception there. And during my pregnancy with my daughter, I wanted things as spicy as possible – hopefully it would burn my mouth! One time I made my noodles so spicy that I started to cry, and the waiter had to bring me some plain chicken broth so it could be edible.

tracy said:

i was absolutely OBSESSED with green grapes and cucumbers when I was pregnant. Could not get enough!

I did have tons of donut cravings…but caved in only a few times. I think there was one day that I ate 6 donuts…IN.A.ROW.

Apr

Anna said:

Canteloupe and green grapes are my top two food cravings right now at 14 weeks. Also, Edy’s Whole Fruit Bars! They are amazing! I eat one a day (at least). The sour flavored ones are my fave.