best books

babybooks

we’ve started working on a little collection of books for our little man.  Levi and I went through a list of books we remembered as kids that we especially loved but I’m clueless as to what’s out there that’s new and wonderful for babies.  tell me friends, what are some books you’d recommend?  I’d love to hear!

{images from amazon}

Comments:

Belinda said:

This book is gorgeous too – The Diary of Wombat. I buy it for all of my friends when they have little ones! It’s hilarious.

Belinda said:

rose said:

sigh. . . kids books my be my favorite thing to wax poetic about! i love them. for the past year i’ve been an early head start (1 – 2 year-olds) teacher and these are the current favorites of my kiddos:
    brown bear brown bear, the snowy day, and naked mole rat gets dressed. these are the ones that they want to have read to them over and over. and i love the illustrations. also, board books are crucial until they are at least 3, everything is in their mouths.

Daniella said:

Goodnight Moon for sure! It was my favourite… i still have it as a keepsake, it’s so worn from reading over and over, lol.

Borda said:

I agree! Goodnight Moon was one of my favorites as a kid. Also, ask my mom – she’s the expert on kids books from ages 4-14.

Karyn said:

My little guy turns 13 next week. I miss reading these stories to him,
    Danny and the Dinosaur
    Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile
    Alexander and the Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
    Pierre, a Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue
    Whistle for Willie

go dog go is my fave!

and:

(be sure to look at the next few posts, it is a series.)

you are welcome.

oh, great link!!!

abby said:

I really love the Beatrix Potter Books, Make Way for Ducklings, The Runaway Bunny, Virginia Lee Burton’s books (The Little House, Katy and the Big Snow), fairy tales, Babar, Curious George,the list goes on and on. I love children’s books, I can’t wait to have a baby:-)

Jessi said:

Oh, these are all great books! I loved reading where the wild things are, make way for ducklings, and the little prince. A great thing my friends did for me was for my baby shower in addition to their gift, they each gave me a copy of their favorite childrens book. It was a great (and very thoughtful) way to start off a library for my little one!

Jessica said:

I am an art teacher to little ones. My favorites are Beautiful Oops, An Awesome Book of Thanks and Tar Beach.

Lola said:

From my experience as a nanny, please allow me:
    –Stellaluna
    –The Little Prince
    –Everyone needs a rock
    –Courderoy
    –Guess How Much I love you
    –The giving tree
    –where the whild things are
    –love you forever and always
    –Chikka Chikka Boom Boom ( a book I still hum as an adult)
    –Alexander and the terrible horrible reallly bad day
    –Bread and Jam for Frances
    –Curious George
    –Harold and the Purple Crayon
    –The Story of Ferdinand
    –The true story of the three little pigs
    –There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
    –The sleeping house

A small library in itself already.

Diane said:

Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day and two books we got from readers digest or something that I’ve never been able to find again Pigs in the House and Bicycle Bear. Lord I loved reading to my kids. Can’t wait for the grandkids to come along so I can read to them.

megan said:

just read ‘Have You Filled Your Bucket Today?’
    It’s a great little book, with a really nice message for children!

caroline said:

my favorite kid’s book for adult are the giving tree and oh the place’s you’ll go. I tend to give those as gifts because they are my favorite.

several years ago when my nephew was in his toddling years, I gave him, little pea, after reading about it on some other blog. and as I was reading it to him, he seemed so interested and I found it to be the cutest little book ever.

SMae said:

Harold and the Purple Crayon, Where the Wild Things Are, The Giving Tree, Good Night Moon, The “Olivia” series, Art by Patrick McDonnell, Ish by Peter Reynolds….hope you enjoy :)))

Mar

For sure Goodnight Moon and Love You Forever and Always.

kristi said:

my four-month old baby loves to look and listen while i read her this book,
    Peek a Who?
    the mirror on the last page is a special surprise!

Kaylen said:

there’s a monster at the end of this book! it’s SO good and so cute. tar beach, i second that vote.

Mar

so many great books!! thanks ladies, keep ‘em coming!

Sasha said:

Greg Foley’s books are so cute – http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Search/QuickSearchProc/1,,Author_1000065811,00.html

Afton said:

goodnight moon.
    the rainbow fish.
    anything by charley harper or eric carle!

Shimi said:

Emily Gravett is my favourite picture book writer/illustrator. Her books are very interactive, with tiny letters popping out of envelopes and bits of writing squeezed everywhere; it makes for such a dynamic reading experience. The illustrations are so wonderful too. I love her book Wolves, but my wee niece likes Meercat Mail best.

Oliver Jeffers is also great.

My brother and I loved Chicken Licken when we were growing up. My mum can still recite it all :)

Sara said:

Oh, these books.

Stop That Ball by Mike McClintock

Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman (I remember crying when my mom read this to me, imagining someone not knowing who their mother was because mine was so wonderful!)

Put Me In The Zoo by Robert Lopshire

A Fish Out Of Water by Helen Palmer

These have all been redone and reprinted, but if you can find any originals they are absolutely stunning! Just the way the old illustrations look. Siiiiigh :]

Gaia said:

ooh these are such great suggestions!
    I just got “Children Make Terrible Pets” by Peter Brown which is just wonderful.
    For fun vintage books check out this blog:
    it’s awesome.

Gina said:

I second the recommendations for Corduroy, Beatrix Potter books and Ferdinand. I’d also add Dr. Seuss’ ABCs and Ezra Jack Keats’ “The Snowy Day” http://www.amazon.com/Snowy-Day-Ezra-Jack-Keats/dp/0140501827

Mar

Where the wild things are, without a doubt!

Mary said:

I love the classics best, but I work at a kids’ toy store in Vancouver and these are some really nice (newer) ones:
    -Charley Harper board books for learning alphabet, numbers
    -A seed is sleepy
    -The quiet book
    -Augustus & his smile and also How Harris finds his feet
    -Ish
    -any Oliver Jeffers
    -Little Hoot
    -Iggy Peck, Architect
    -The story of Frog belly rat bone
    -Something from nothing
    -Sleeping Dragons all around

…the list goes on, but it sure adds up – I’d get your favorites and some board books and buy the rest as you go

Katherine said:

Lois Elhert and Leo Leoni produce beautifully illustrated children’s literature.

The Little Prince is and always will be my favorite children’s book there is. I am a children’s librarian and I just can’t help but want to steer little ones towards the classics.

coral said:

There are some great classics in the comments here. For newer books I like Chronicle Books. This is one in a series of simple board books that use artists instead of the typical zoo animals for things like colors and counting to 10: http://www.chroniclebooks.com/index/main,book-info/store,kids/products_id,6557/title,Counting-with-Wayne-Thiebaud/

kate so said:

I just found “A Fly Went By” at the thrift store. The book is new to me, but I picked it up on your recommendation. Thanks!

Eden said:

“The Story About Ping” by Marjorie Flack

Anna said:

I love My Friends by Taro Gomi (Spring is Here by TG is also very sweet).
    An old classic I loved as a child and that my two-year-old son enjoys is I Am a Bunny, by Ole Risom.
    Collecting children’s books is such fun; I think I enjoy them as much as he does.