cloth diapers & ecobubs

ecobubs

we’re planning on going the cloth diaper route with our little man.  I received a set of 45 fitted diapers and a handful of covers from a co-worker that we plan to start out with.  however, since we’re currently living in a 4plex where we have a coin-op washer and dryer, I realize our laundry costs will go up*.  eventually I’d like to switch to a one-size diaper with a pocket or snap insert once our little man is out of his newborn phase but I’m confident that the fitteds will work great starting out.

my mother-in-law sent me a link to these adorable cloth diapers from Ecobubs yesterday.  has anyone heard of them or tried them out?  I’m wondering how they perform or if they’re too cute to be true.  if you cloth diaper your baby, what are your favorites?  what has worked for you and what hasn’t?  I’d love to hear your thoughts.

*in hindsight, we probably should have started off with a diaper service that would only have been a few more dollars a week… but oh well.

Comments:

Janelle said:

So, I may be a bit unique in my opinion, but I love simple prefolds with a snappi and velcro cover. They are so easy to wash, and once you get the hang of the origami, not hard at all to put on. One thing I found with fitted diapers and even pockets is that they take FOREVER to dry. I usually have to put them in the dryer for two whole cycles. Prefolds are usually all cotton, so they don’t hang on to odors, and they fold up so they dry much quicker. Also, they are fabulously cheap. (Look at econobum.) I bought a set of prefolds for my now three year old, and they carried us through until she was potty trained. Now I’m using them for my twins and they still hold up great. That being said, pocket diapers do look cuter (and less bulky). I’ve found that everyone has different opinions with diapers so my best advice is to buy a couple of different ones, try them out for a few weeks, then buy more of whichever one is your favorite. Good luck!
    Also, this is my first time commenting, but I love your blog. It’s really beautiful.

Lina said:

I agree, go 100% cotton check out green mountain diapers they are the best and their manual is the best part. I bought fuzzy buns the first time, don’t really recommend them. Then I bought kissaluvs thay are good but not 100% cotton and some mother ease they have the best fit but the they are not absorvant so I wouldn’t get those. Then I bought some bummies and loved them but the covers where not really working (they are good but I wanted to go au naturel) so I found GMD and was thrilled with her explanation and their service, I bought two dozens of their organic prefolds and they are AMAZING I would get prefolds and the fitted cotton diapers they offer they seem great. as for cover we LOVE the imse vimse wool cover they work so good, the lanacare are really soft and luxurious but we had some leeks since the thing in the leg ( sorry I don’t know the name english is not my first languaje) is not wool so it lees easily hope this works. if you have any question send me an e mail. ;) and those covers are divine!

Feb

thanks for commenting Janelle! I hadn’t heard anything about drying issues, but we have a finicky dryer that sometimes doesn’t dry all the way the first time through. good to know!

Lina, yes, I’ve heard good things about Isme Visme!! and if I have any questions, I’ll definitely email you!

holy moly!

i hope to hear from someone who has tried these, we will def get a few. or maybe i will just have to try one! gah!

our plan is similar to yours. after a bit of research and a LOT of advice from kristina of a lovely morning (let me know if you want me to fwd you her posts or emails on the matter) we are doing the prefolds in newborn and then small until he is big enough to fit into the fuzzibunz one size pocket diapers.

but now you have me thinking- would the cost to buy the prefolds not save us that much compared to doing a service until he was big enough to fit the one sizes’? interesting….

TOTALLY. stripes forever!

I’ve exhausted many, many hours researching cloth diapers. too many actually. a co-worker kind of handed me down these fitteds for super cheap, so I couldn’t really pass up the deal. but when I estimated our laundry costs, it was approx $12 a week if we did a max of 5 loads a week. the diaper service here is $18 for 72 diapers a week, which could or couldn’t be enough for a newborn, so I figured it’d be a few dollars more weekly. so, with the cost of the prefolds, I think it would end up being cheaper in the long run to just purchase them yourself {they are pretty inexpensive aren’t they?} just the actual ease of the service made it sound muuuuccchhh better. ha.

Feb

naw, i think even with added laundry it will still be ALOT cheaper to buy our own prefolds. but i dont have a coin op. but i do need a new washer…. but but but. :)

Jenni said:

I’ve cloth diapered one through potty training already and have just started up with my newborn. I’ve found that the simple systems (prefolds, fitteds, covers) tend to be the easiest and longest-lasting (which therefore also makes them the most economical). And I’ve also found that hemp and bamboo inserts are my personal preference. Both super absorbent and more comfy than straight cotton prefolds. Because most of the wetness stays in the insert and doesn’t get on the cover, I also find that I am able to wipe and reuse my covers more times between washes. I am NOT a fan of microfiber. I have a very limited amount that I use for when I need a stay-dry option, like if I know it will be a while before I change Lu. But eventually all microfiber smells. It’s synthetic so the ammonia crystallizes in there and you have to strip it by boiling or running them through the dishwasher or using Dawn or something. Life is much easier without microfiber, trust me. You can stuff pretty much anything into a pocket dipe.

I’ve never seen those ones that you posted but, man, are they ever cute. I might have to snag a couple and then comment again once we’ve tried them out!

This is my first comment sooo – nice to meet ya! I couldn’t resist. When cloth diapers come up I am just such a fan it’s hard to contain myself. :)

Feb

thanks for your comment Jenni! I too have heard things about just changing out the inserts – which I think will help with laundry. get twice as many inserts, if not more, than the covers, and hope that unless there is some serious blow out, I can reuse the cover again. :)

Corinne said:

Our little guy is due in May, and we’ve been going back and forth about diaper options. We live in a 12-unit building with only one shared coin operated washer/dryer… and there are other kids in the building, so there’s a LOT of laundry going on. So, I think we’re planning to do the diaper service… Anyone have any experience with TinyTots in the SF Bay Area?

Feb

I’m due in May too!! the 16th actually. :)

sounds like a service would be great for you. we share with 3 other couples and rarely run into anyone in the laundry room. I just hope that they don’t get freaked out that we’re washing diapers in the washing machine!

Elizabeth said:

We’ve heard great things about the Bumgenius diapers, and are thinking about using a combination of their pocket all-in-one (love that they fit from newborn-toddler) and their organic elemental all-in-one (no stuffing!). They’re a little pricey, but friends have told us amazing stories about their durability and user-friendliness. But man, those stripes are so cute.

rebecca s. said:

there was a very informative post about cloth diapers on lovelymorning.com a while back… i think she has a few posts actually, here is one i just googled:

i don’t have any children yet so there is my 2 cents. :) oh and hello!? stripes!! too darn cute.

Feb

yes! I actually kind of consider Kristina my unofficial baby mentor. her blog has so much useful info on it!

Rebecca said:

Ha, me too! (I’m due in August.)

Another good, fairly exhaustive cloth diaper post is on Young House Love. Here, in case you haven’t read it. One thing I’m running into, and I live in LA, so it’s not like we don’t have eco-friendly stores, is that I’m not seeing cloth diapers in baby boutiques. I was hoping to at least get a chance to see some of the liners and covers in person before committing to a system.

Kara said:

Bumgenius cloth diapers are amazing. They are one size and “grow” with your baby. No leaks and no diaper rash! The up side is that you can control the bleach use where as with diaper service that is out of your hands!
    Best of luck! Cloth diapers are such a great investment in the earth and your baby!

Lauren said:

Hi Corinne,
    We just signed up for Tiny Tots diaper service and received our first drop-off last week, for our baby who is due in 5 days… (eek!) Seems like the best option for us, since we don’t have laundry service in our building, and the 80 diapers they sent us for the first week alone isn’t at all comprehensible until you see it with your own eyes. Soooo many diapers!
    Thanks for all the inspiration on this site, Alyson!

Amy jo said:

We were gifted 6 months of diaper service, which was fabulous. From there we went the economical route: unbleached prefolds and thirsties covers as well as a stash of other covers we purchased at second hand stores. We ended up washing covers nightly but had enough prefolds to go a couple of days before we had to wash them. Our boy is a super fast grower, so he only wore each of the smallest sizes for a short amount of time. If covers have been properly cared for, they will last and last and last so don’t feel odd about purchasing used ones. As he grew older and slept longer at night, we switched to prefitted/all-in-one cloth diapers for night and used bamboo inserts to give them a bit more absorbency. This worked well and eliminated the leak problems we had with doubled prefolds. If you haven’t been there, you should make a visit to Mother Nature’s on Clinton Street. The carry a wide range of diapering materials and offer excellent advice.

Mar

Daniela said:

Today I posted on my tiny blog about the same subject! It’s such a nightmare to choose! Too many cute choices and too many practical ones… can’t we have it all??? I live in Norway and the community encourages you to use cloth diapers by returning you a percentage of the money you invest by buying what you need, so, we really want to give it a try (I am due in 4.5 weeks! yikes!), so, I think we’re going for prefolds with both wool covers and Imse Vimse covers to start off… I realize by reading all the blogs with cloth diapering advice that as cute as the “all in ones” look, they take too long to dry, and we share our washer and drier with other people (and, there is no diaper service here where I live… if there was one, I assume it would be unaffordable)… so, prefolds it is! Good luck with your bump, you look amazing! And you are truly inspiring me all the time!

Mar

Mego! said:

I too am struggling with WHICH cloth diaper to use so many options and models. Its like picking out a brand new car.
    my husband and i really like GDIAPERS but have found no one actually uses them. I would use cloth inserts at home and flushables on the go.

Mar

hi Mego! my friend uses the GDiapers and this is what she said to me in an email – hope this helps!!

“i’ve got a great, streamlined, and fairly inexpensive system going. i use the gdiaper “gpants” with snap-in liners, and instead of the inserts the gdiaper company sells, i use regular old-fashioned cloth diapers (the kind usually pinned) that i fold to fit the snap-in liner. this works particularly well with a boy because the extra length of the diaper insert can be folded in the front over to absorb more pee.”

Mar

elisabeth said:

Oh, those stripes are so cute!

I’ve been really happy with the onesize fuzzibunz. Originally I tried a few different options. I wanted the prefolds to work but our little fellow was so fussy about being wet that the pricier fuzzibunz just seemed worth it for us. Most of ours were gifted to us – it was my go to item if someone asked if we needed anything. They’ve held up really well so far (it’s been almost 10 months).

Mar

Rochelle said:

Hi, Fantastic to see our gorgeous diapers on your blog. They are super cute and they definately do work! Our wool pocket diaper is a premium day nappy but the ultimate nappy for overnight keeping little ones dry throughout. So easy to use, wash and dry quickly. We are bringing them to the US in the near future in a big way as we have lots of customers that buy direct from us but soon will be able to purchase within the US. Best wishes