28 weeks

28w1d

why, hello third trimester!

it’s so funny.  to me, I feel like I’m so close.  but then I think back to how long ago it was that I entered my second trimester and it makes me remember how long I’ve got left.  but, as I’m told – it will FLY BY.

yesterday we had our birth center tour at the hospital I’ll be delivering at and I have to admit, I was quite impressed.  no fluorescent lighting in the rooms, a {smallish} jacuzzi tub in every suite, birthing balls and bars available, a baby in room policy and the baby will be put directly on my chest after I push him out, unless there is some medical reason why he can’t be.

maybe I’m out of the typical hospital loop but all the documentaries that I’ve seen make it sound like giving birth in a hospital will be a terrible experience.  while I’m sure having a home birth or a birth at a birthing center would be more ideal, the structure of this particular hospital plus convenience of it’s location {we live 3 short blocks away}, make me feel really lucky to have chosen this one.

12 more weeks.  and his kicks just keep getting bigger and bigger.

28w1d

Comments:

Lisa W. said:

cute top! so happy you are excited about your hospital. that’s encouraging to hear!

Feb

I really think that each hospital is unique (bad or good)! I’m very happy that you like your hospital.

We can’t bring candles at the hospital (of course) but to make things a bit more relax if I give birth at night, we got those fake candles with batteries (but they look super real…the nurses will probably freak out at first!!!). I also think that a home birth would be much nicer (but I also like the concept of hospitals) so I try to bring a bit of home to the hospital!!!

Feb

oooo, fake candles are a GREAT idea!!

franny.glass said:

i delivered in a regular old delivery room and… maybe i’m the exception to the rule, but i could have been in the damn SHOPPING MALL and i wouldn’t have cared. it’s about you and L and that little man :)

Chaucee said:

You look GREAT! Are you exercising while being pregnant? And congrats on finding a hospital that you really love : ) That sounds like a really nice place!

Feb

I am! since I’ve been pregnant, I’ve been swimming laps at the gym, walking around our neighborhood or on the treadmill when it’s too cold or rainy to walk outside and I’ve been practicing yoga as much as possible. I’m extremely grateful for yoga – especially now that I’ve having back aches!

Feb

Maybe most hospitals are like this now, but it sounds like the hospital I will be delivering at.
    Did you decide to take birthing classes here, or somewhere else?
    Did you decide on a doula?
    I have so many questions for you, fellow Portland mom!

Feb

no problem! are you at Good Sam?

I’m not taking a birthing class. we decided that from our reading prep and practicing on our own at home, along with hiring a doula, that we won’t need it. maybe I’m silly but I feel like I’m prepared without needing an extra class.

Allison said:

I agree with several of the previous commenters. When I was researching hospitals and OB practices I was pleasantly surprised how the medical community seems to be embracing the midwife-guided, natural birth experience. I delivered at a hospital with a midwife (only saw a MD for my post-birth stitches) and I loved it! Glad you found a place that makes you happy!

nicolle said:

oh your belly is so cute!!!! you have really popped since last time i saw you. can not wait to see your little man!!! :)

Andrea said:

I planned an unmedicated, natural birth. And I was SCARED to deliver at the hospital after everything I read and watched. However, let me tell you, my hospital stay was glorious. I LOVED it. I cried when it was time to go home because I was so sad to leave my nurse and all the kindness and help I received there. It was so relaxing to be there. Like a mini-vacation. SO…I’m converted. I am excited for my next pregnancy-related hospital stay.

Brittany said:

wow, you look so great! glad everything went well with the tour.

Lauren said:

look at that belly,so cute! birthing center sounds great!…i remember my mom telling me to let the nurses take the baby to the nursery so I could get some sleep in the hospital, and when I was pregnant I thought she was crazy..i wanted the baby in the room with me at all times! BUT she was right..having the nursery take the baby somestimes is nice…you need all the rest you can get before you take him home!

Dana said:

You look great! I think it depends on where you live. After reading Your Best Birth, I was pretty freaked out, but the birthing wing in the hospital where we had our baby in Seattle was very progressive. All the things I thought I’d have to press for (being able to labor in multiple positions, skin to skin contact right away, etc) were totally standard and encouraged by the nurses and staff.

Sylvia said:

Hospital births are pretty great when you consider the round the clock care of sweet nurses who know what to do with teeny bebes :) I delivered at OHSU and although we considered a home birth, our big baby made us too nervous to not be close to a medical facility in case of an emergency (in the end we had to schedule a c-section, which wasn’t a bad experience at all!)

You look fantastic!

Amy Nieto said:

Soooo happy that you guys will be close to the hospital! Oh I can’t wait to meet Little Baby Brown, the Explorer!!

Amber said:

Just thought of you when I was reading about breastfeeding past one year old. Not sure if you are planning to, but my son is almost 10 months old and I plan to breastfeed past one year. The more I read, the more I find that it is beneficial (yet not really accepted among US moms) to breastfeed until 2 years of age. UNICEF, WHO strongly encourages bfeeding until 2 years. I think the pressures of society make us moms feel uncomfortable. One good thing…as the baby gets older, there are less and shorter feedings. I will tell you though, that I will miss this very unique bond I have with my son when it is over. It calms him when he is sick, soothes him when can’t sleep and provides nourishment. When someone appears shocked by my decision to breastfeed this long, I tell them, why give my son cows milk when he has the best milk right here? Just some food for thought :)

Ruthy said:

My brother & his wife back in the UK (I live in Australia), are expecting their first bambino at roughly the same time as you, so I’m following your progress avidly! It’s amazing to think that my future niece or nephew is growing & developing just as your wee peanut is, & that my sister-in-law will be blooming just as you are :) It’s lovely to follow your story from across the miles, thanks for sharing!

oh that’s so fun Ruthy!

Feb

You look so stinkin cute!! I can’t take it.

mellou said:

My first babe, Felix, is 8 days old today and I delivered him unmedicated, natural birth at our local hospital. I literally live a block away from the hospital which was great when I thought maybe I was in labour at 4 am (turns out I was already 7 cm!). I loved the hospital…and it sounds very similar to the one you toured. Nurses were great! And, honestly, having been in my own private room at the hospital (all rooms are private) I don’t think I’d want to give birth at home.