mama mocktails

mama mocktails

if you know me, you know prior to baby life, I was big into beer.  rich stouts, sour ales, black ipas… you get the point.  Levi and I have probably tasted close to 750 different beers and it was a big part of our life.  that being said… I don’t miss it.

really!  granted, I haven’t been dragged to my favorite brewery or had yummy beer festivals to make me wish I could taste the newest beers, but in all honesty, I don’t miss it at all.  at least not right now.  I know there’s a lot of studies that say having a light beer or a glass of wine occasionally during pregnancy really won’t hurt, but I’m not one to chance things.  besides, I’ve been busy concocting mocktails!  tell me: what’s your favorite mocktail? here’s what I’ve been enjoying lately:

mama mocktails

{photo and illustration by me}

Comments:

erin said:

these sound delicious. and your illustration is lovely, lovely.

Jan

this is sooo cute! alex used to give me coconut water in a martini glass. :) i love this!

Jan

mmm, I love coconut water! out of a martini glass? bonus!

rebecca said:

sounds great! you may also want to try one of my favorites, muscat vinegar and spark (fizzy) water. pour 1T (or so) of vinegar over ice then fill glass with spark water. add more vinegar if desired. (i like mine pretty strong.)

i had a tough time locating the muscat vinegar, but finally found it at city market/pastaworks over on nw 21st. (i’m not sure they had it at the hawthorne location. call around.)

Jan

oooo, good idea!! City Market is right around the corner from our house! I think we have some peach vinegar in the cabinet we bought at the farmers market – I bet that would be good, too!

Sara said:

My favorite drink is a Dark and Stormy, but honestly, drinking (and making) the homemade ginger ale by itself is truly the best treat. It’s a bit labor intensive, but if you want the most refreshing drink, it’s totally worth it.

-Peel and grate a ginger root (I just buy the one at the market that has the fewest nubs, it’s easier to peel that way)
    -Boil 4 cups of water and sugar to taste for a simple syrup (in all honesty, I load the sugar up and make it super sweet to cut the spicy bite of ginger but it’s really whatever you’d prefer), once the water comes to a boil, toss in the grated ginger for about 5 minutes.
    -Strain the boiled mixture and let cool

I always buy small little pint size bottles of club soda, and mix each drink separately to maintain their fizziness. Add the syrup to taste for each drink. And the most important part: adding the juice of a slice of lime and a mint leaf.

If you can get past my vague directions, this concoction will essentially blow your mind :)

Jan

I’ve always wanted to make my own ginger ale. you may have just given me a project for next weekend!!

Sara said:

Let us know how it turns out! And be careful, you will totally want to drink the whole batch in one sitting for sure.

Caroline C said:

I’m not even pregnant and I’ll be giving these a try! The fizzy fruit sounds especially delicious.

Meghan said:

I made myself a mock mojito. Mint fizzy water from Whole Foods plus limeade. yum.

Jan

mmm, I love mojitos! I’m going to have to see if I can find that mint fizzy water! otherwise, I’m sure some mint sprigs would work too.

Lexie said:

The ginger ale + pineapple juice combo is brilliant!

Marie-Hélène said:

Oh, those look delicious, and so nicely presented!

On a different – but related – note, I was wondering if you had to modify your diet a lot during your pregnancy. I believe you are a vegan, am I right? I am not a mommy-to-be, but I wonder if a vegetarian/vegan diet particularly needs to be supplemented during pregnancy. I think it’d make an interesting post! Thank you!

Jan

yes, I’m vegetarian! protein has been the one thing that I’ve struggled with – and it’s soooo important!! I hear getting 80 grams of protein a day is difficult even for a meat eater! I’ve reintroduced fish into my diet {I was once pescatarian} so I eat fish maybe once a week. just lots of beans, rice, dairy, etc. as well as a hemp protein supplement!

Marie-Hélène said:

80 grams of protein?! I hadn’t realized that we needed so much. I thought that protein was the easiest nutrient to get, since many, many foods contain it. I thought calcium (for those who don’t consume dairy products), vitamin B12 and the likes were the ones that were more tricky… But 80 grams?! I’ll have to read more about this, and also about supplements. Thank you!

Jan

yes, 80 grams for us pregnant ladies! I’m not sure how much the average person needs, perhaps closer to 40. :)

Marie-Hélène said:

Yes, I believe the average intake for a woman would be between 30 and 50 grams (depending on their height and weight). But 80 grams for a pregnant woman.. .I will have learned something today! And cuddos for being creative with your meals!

nathalie said:

as a midwife i have always learned that there is a zero alcohol tolerance during pregnancy. the studies do not know the minimal dose of alcohol that is bad for your fetus during pregnancy, even one glass can have very devastating consequences. furthermore, it is i;portant to know that the fetus recievs x400 the dose of the alcohol that you drink! it passes directly the placenta and it takes x4 times more for the baby to eliminate the alcohol.

a little response to the comment that there are studies showing that one glass is okay (what study is this??). maybe it is in america… here in europe all scientific studies lead to a zero tolerance policy.

/ nathalie from france

Jan

thanks Nathalie! I whole heartedly agree, thus why I’m not one of those choosing to indulge during pregnancy. why risk it? plus it’s not like it’s forever. I’m perfectly happy with my mocktails. :)

Laura R. said:

Bookmarking this for the day (far in the future) when I have a little one on the way. Thanks for sharing!